About The Department
The department of chemistry started in the year 1997 and engaged in teaching applied chemistry at the first year level of all branches of engineering courses. The department has highly qualified, dedicated and experienced faculty presently headed by Dr. Anitha Sudhir. The department aims to impart high quality education inspiring students to come out to compete globally and to develop scientific outlook with analytical mind. The faculty members are attending faculty development programmes, workshops and seminars to update their knowledge. Department has R&D center recognized by VTU, Belagavi. The faculty involved both in teaching as well as research and published research paper in various national and international journals. At present two faculties are guiding the students for Ph.D degree and have applied for the project.
DR. Anitha Sudhir
B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D.
Professor and Head
Department of Chemistry
To be a knowledge sharing center, enabling fresh minds to acquire fundamental insights into chemical science which contribute intellectually vibrant individuals for the welfare of the society.
- To provide strong fundamentals in chemistry to all the engineering programs.
- To support the developmental activities of the college and make the department vibrant through research activities.
COURSE OUTCOME & MAPPING
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
1. Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering, fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional Engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in Multi-disciplinary environments.
12. Lifelong learning: Recognise the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change.
The department has well equipped laboratory, HOD chamber, staff rooms, preparation room, instrumentation room and R&D center recognized by VTU, Belagavi.
Non - Teaching Staff
Department Activities 2019-20
- On the occasion of celebration of Engineer’s day, a special talk on achievements and ambitions of Sir M.Vishvesvaraya was arranged on 16th September 2019 for first semester ME-C section students by Dr.Sowmya .
- A special talk by Dr.M.S.Vijayakumar, scientist, department of chemistry, Manasagangotri, Mysuru on “ON WORLD OF WEIGHTLESSNESS-CHEMICAL AND PHYSICAL SCIENCE IN SPACE AND ITS APPLICATION” for chemistry cycle students was held at Sahukar Channaih Auditorium by Department of Chemistry, Vidyavardhaka College of Engineering on 20th September 2019.
Department Activities 2018-19
- A seminar on “CHEMISTRY OF NANOMATERIALS” for chemistry cycle students was held at Department of chemistry, Vidyavardhaka College of Engineering on 27th April 2019.
- On the occasion of 150th Celebration of Discovery of Periodic Table by Mendeleev’s, a special talk was arranged on 7th March 2019 for second semester ISE-A section students.
- An educational trip was arranged to IOE Vijnana Bhavan on 27th March 2019. The students belonged to 2nd semester ‘B’ section of Information Science Engineering department.
- Special talk was arranged on “Mind Engineering” on Thursday, the 15th November 2018 in association with ISTE student chapter for EC-A section students by Prof. Babu Rajendra Prasad, Professor, Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering.
- The Department of Chemistry had organized an essay competition on “Importance’s of Education” on the occasion of National Education day being observed on 11th November to mark Maulana Abul Kalam Azad’s birth anniversary.
- On the occasion of 150th birthday of Marie Curie a special talk was arranged on “Life and Times of Marie Curie” on Saturday, the 27th October 2018 in association with ISTE student chapter for EC-B section students.
Department Activities 2017-18
- Department of chemistry arranged industry visit to “Mysore Sandalwood Factory” on 08th November 2017 for ECE-A section students.
- Department of chemistry arranged industry visit to “Mysore Silk Factory” on 08th November 2017 for ECE-B section students.
- Seminar on “Chemistry of Nanomaterials” by Dr. Naveen S, Associate Professor, Jain Institute of Technology, Bengaluru was organized by department of chemistry for chemistry cycle students on 27th October 2017.
- Essay competition on “My vision – Corruption free India” during vigilance awareness week was organized by department of chemistry on 26th October 2017.
- Motivational talk by Shikhar Kashyap, a best outgoing student of Department of Mechanical Engineering on 28th September 2017 for all Chemistry cycle students.
- Department of Chemistry celebrated 124th birthday of Harold Urey in Association with ISTE Students Chapter on 29th April 2017.
- A seminar on “Nanotechnology” for chemistry cycle students was held at Department of chemistry, Vidyavardhaka College of Engineering, in association with “ISTE Student’s Chapter” on 27th April 2017. Dr. Naveen S, Scientist, Institute of Excellence, University of Mysore, Mysuru was the guest of honor.
- In view of Vigilance Awareness Week, conducted a seminar on “Fight against corruption” by Dr. Bhamy V. Shenoy, and an essay competition on “Public participation in promoting integrity and eradicating corruption” in collaboration with Canara bank, on 4th November 2016.
- A seminar on “Self-counseling system and its applications in higher education” for chemistry cycle students on 22nd October 2016, by Babu Rajendra Prasad, Professor, Department of EEE, VVCE, Mysuru.
- A seminar on “Nanotechnology” for chemistry cycle students by Dr. S. Naveen Kumar, Scientist, Institute of Excellence, University of Mysore, on 1st October 2016 for 1st year Chemistry cycle students.
- A “Brain storming competition” was conducted by the Department of chemistry, Vidyavardhaka College of Engineering, in association with “ISTE STUDENT’S CHAPTER” on Wednesday, 28th September 2016 for ECE students.
- A technical talk on “Safety & Health in Chemistry Lab” by Prof. K. N. Krishna Prasad, on 5th August 2016 for first year Civil Engineering and EEE students.
Chemistry Research and Development Center
RESEARCH GUIDE & SCHOLAR DETAILS:
Name of the Research Guide
|Name of Research Scholar||Program||Year of Registration||Status of completion of|
|Course work [Y/N]||Comprehensive Viva-Voce [Y/No]||Submitted Final Thesis
|Dr. N S Lingegowda||Dinesh M N||Ph.D.,||2015-16||N||N||N|
|Dr. N Srikantamurthy||Vrushabendra B||Ph.D.,||2015-16||Y||N||N|
|Umesh Kumar T C||Ph.D.,||2016-17||N||N||N|