About The Program
The Department of Civil Engineering was incepted in the year 2013 with a sanctioned intake of 60. Dr. DAYANANDA H S who is also Dean (Examination) is heading the department with experienced and dedicated faculty members having different specializations of Civil Engineering
Three faculty members in the department are having doctoral degree and other five have registered for Ph.D.
The department is committed towards achieving excellence in technical education so as to produce competent and confident engineers.
The faculty members takes personal care, counsel the students and motivate them at regular intervals. Further, the parents/guardians are informed about their attendance and progress of their ward. Tutorial classes & remedial classes are conducted to encourage the slow learners. Personality development and English communication classes are also conducted.
Technical Activities Technical seminars, Guest lectures and student workshops are conducted by inviting experienced academicians and Industrial experts for the benefit of students giving exposure of the recent trends in civil engineering.
V-Innovate Lab The V-Innovate Lab activities are conducted for the first year students to give hands on experience in Civil Engineering activities. Student coordinators are engaged to enable peer to peer learning.
Placement Assistance The Training and Placement department fosters the best training programs with a view to equip students with necessary skill set such as aptitude and problem solving skills, interview skills and soft skills required, to assist them frequently arranges industry mock interviews and group discussions to draw their career path.
The Department is actively involved in taking up consultancy services of clients in the following area
- Determination of Safe Bearing Capacity and other Soil Properties
- Material Testing - Concrete, Bricks, Blocks, Aggregates and Cement, etc.
- Water and Wastewater Analysis
- Design and Proof Checking of Civil Engineering Structures
- After successful completion, students can pursue post-graduation in their interested stream.
- For a qualified civil engineer, there is no dearth of jobs, in both governmental and private sectors.
- Can set up their own engineering consultancy cell.
B.E., M.E(Env. Engg.), Ph.D.
Department of Civil Engineering
The Department of Civil Engineering will develop socially responsible civil engineers through quality education keeping pace with emerging technologies.
The Department of Civil Engineering will,
DM1: Provide quality education emphasizing on emerging technologies through competent staff and modern facilities
DM2: Imbibe logical thinking ability, communication skills, professional ethics, leadership and entrepreneurial qualities
DM3: Promote research for sustainable development
DM4: Establish collaborations with industry and academic institutions for mutual benefits
Program Educational Objectives (PEO's)
Graduates of the program will,
PEO1. Continue to update knowledge with constantly emerging technology in Civil Engineering
PEO2. Inculcate technical, managerial and soft skills to handle the complex situation in executing the Civil Engineering projects
PEO3. Pursue higher education and interact with industry to excel in the field of interest
Program specific outcomes (PSO)
Students graduating from the Department of Civil Engineering will
PSO1. Recognize the appropriate technology to deal with water and waste Management systems.
PSO2. Demonstrate professional responsibility in recognizing the need for residential, commercial building and transportation projects.
Program Outcomes (PO’s) based on NBA graduate attributes
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyse complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusionsusing first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specifiedneeds with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis andinterpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modelling tocomplex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and theconsequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with theengineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation,make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Lifelong learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change.
- Basic Materials Testing Lab – equipped with Analog Universal Testing Machine (100Ton), Vickers’ Hardness Testing machine, Digital Impact Testing Machine, Brinell Cum Rockwell Hardness Testing machine, Torsional Testing Machine and Flexural tile Testing Machine.
- Surveying Lab – Equipped with sophisticated Theodolite and Total station.
- Geology Lab – Equipped with mineral samples including rock and ore forming, Structural Models and Geological Maps
- CAD Lab – Equipped with new higher-end computer systems (76Nos), Autodesk Autocad and STAAD Pro V8i Software with 25 KVA online UPS.
- Hydraulics and Hydraulics Machinery Lab – closed circuit lab equipped with Centrifugal Pump, Pelton Wheel, Kaplan Turbine, Venturimeter, Hydraulic Flume and Bernoulli’s Apparatus and many more.
- Geotechnical Engineering Lab – Equipped with Direct Shear Test Apparatus, Tri-axial Test Apparatus, CBR Test Apparatus, Unconfined Compression Tester, Permeability Test Apparatus, Vibratory Sieve Shaker, Auger and Standard Penetration Test to meet both academic as well as consultancy works.
- Concrete and High way Materials Testing Lab – Equipped with Compression Testing Machine – 2000kN, Impact Testing Machine, Flexure Testing Machine – 100kN, Los Angeles Abrasion Testing Machine, Rebound Hammer, Ultrasonic Pulse Velocity Tester, Self Compacting Concrete Apparatus to meet both Academic as well as Consultancy works.
- Environmental Engineering Lab- Equipped with UV-VIS, Spectrophotometer, Flame Photometer, Turbidity meter, TDS-Conductivity meter, COD Digester, high volume air sampler, Respirable dust sampler and handy sampler and sound level meter.
- Seminar Hall with 120 seating capacity fitted with AC and audio visual equipment.
- Entire Civil Engineering Block is secured with CCTV surveillance.
- Department has a recognized VTU Research Center.
- Lecture halls equipped with multimedia Projectors , CCTV & Impartus Video Lecture recording
Tutorial Rooms equipped with multimedia Projectors , CCTV& Impartus Video Lecture recording
Established Dept. Library to cater the needs of students with more than 1400+ volumes
- Enrollment of students to Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) membership
- MOU with M/s.Ballal CADD Training Centre, Mysore to conduct the Training on “AutoCAD 2D & 3D” and Training on Revit Architecture and 3ds MAX by M/s.Ballal CADD Training Centre, Mysore.
Department Association "STHAPATHYA"
Through department student association dept sponsors Technical Fest, Invited Technical Talks, Workshops, FDPs, Industrial Trips, Deputation Staff and students for National and International Seminars/ Trainings/ FDPs/Workshops etc., Scholarship for Toppers ,Procurement of books to Dept. Library and Any other Activities (Professional Bodies membership/Learning Factory/ Club Activities/Bar Camp,etc.,)
- Departmental Technical Fest “CIVERA” provides a platform for the students to exhibit their technical skills and talent
Workshops organized by Department
Technical-Talk organised by Department
FDP Organized in the Department
- Revit Architecture and 3DS Max workshop for VIII Semester students in February, 2020
- Bar Camp on Traffic Engineering in March, 2020
- Practical Approach to Construction Technology [PACT] in association with ACCE [Association for Consulting Civil Engineers] in March, 2020
- Technical Symposium for students in April, 2020
- FDP on “Sustainable Development” in June, 2020
Industry Academia Board
|1||Dr. H. S. DAYANANDA||Dean (Academics)
Professor & Head
|Dept. of Civil Engg
|2||Dr. G S DWARAKISH||Professor & Dean(P &D)
|Dept. of Applied Mechanics
National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal
|3||Sri NAGESH P.
|Regional Head, Technical Service||UltraTech Cement Ltd.,
|4||Lt. Col L. SHRI HARSHA
|Project Management Consultant||Jacobs CES (I) Pvt Ltd
|5||Prof. M. N. SREEHARI,
|Govt. of Karnataka for Traffic,
Transportation and Infrastructure,
|6||Sri SRIRAM K.||Managing Director||Enclaves Infrastructure(Mysore) PVT Ltd, Mysore||Member|
|7||Sri RAMESH||General Manager & Head||Capital Works
Embassy Office Parks
|8||Sri PRAKASH S.||Chairman & Managing Director||Pramur Constructions Pvt Ltd., Mysore||Member|
|9||Sri RAMPRASAD M. S.||Former Chairman||BAI, Mysore||Member|
|10||Dr. K S JAYASIMHA||Chairman||M/s STEDRANT Technoclinic Pvt. Ltd.,||Member|
|11||Sri N R ASHOK||Managing Director||M/s A S Technologies, Mysore||Member|
|12||GIRISH P||Asst. Professor||Dept. of Civil Engg.
|13||KANMANI S S||Asst. Professor||Dept. of Civil Engg.