About The Department
The Electronics and Communication Engineering program was started in the year 1997. The focus of the Department is to produce graduates with strong foundation of fundamentals in Electronics and Communication domain. The course is structured on Outcome Based Education (OBE) paradigm to help students achieve the goals. The Department is the most sought after branch in Engineering by top CET (conducted by Karnataka Examination Authority) rank holders. The Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering with highly qualified staff is well equipped with centralized laboratories having the latest configurations and software tools to cater to the needs of the students.
Highly qualified, experienced and dedicated staff members are the backbone of the Department. The Department always strive hard to satisfy the knowledge thirst of both students and faculties by organizing workshops / technical talks / conferences etc. The faculty members are actively involved in research work and regularly present/ publish their work in various national and international conferences / journals.
The Department hosts under the aegis of VVCE IEEE SB, IMPULSE a technical extravaganza every year to promote co-curricular activities and nurtures the overall personality development of the students by providing them various arenas to showcase their talents. Students are trained to meet the industry requirements and standards, and to face challenges in the ever growing and challenging world of Electronics and Communication technology. Students have shown excellent performance in all the campus recruitment programs held in the college. The Department also has Electrocom club and Cultural club to promote co-curricular and extra-curricular activities. EC Waves, the newsletter of the Department is published twice a year which gives a glimpse of all the activities of the department.
DR. D J RAVI
B.E., M.Tech., Ph.D.
Professor and Head
Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
The department of Electronics and Communication Engineering shall excel in academics through quality education and research, producing value embedded professionals to serve the society.
1. To impart quality education through competent staff and excellent infrastructure.
2. To provide conducive environment for holistic personality development.
3. To encourage research in frontier areas for meeting the societal needs.
4. To nurture the spirit of entrepreneurial skills among students.
Program Educational Objectives (PEO's)
1. Professionally progress in Electronics, Communication and related areas with an orientation towards continuous learning
2. Engage in research activities to enrich their knowledge and adapt themselves with changing technologies
3. Exhibit technical and managerial competencies by involving in ethical and entrepreneurial activities.
Program Specific Outcome (PSO)
Students graduating from the department of Electronics and Communication Engineering will
PSO1: Apply, Analyze, Design and Implement Electronic systems for given specifications and functions.
PSO2: Apply effective techniques for Analysis and Design of Communication Systems.
Program Outcomes (PO’s) based on NBA graduate attributes
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
1. Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering, fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional Engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in Multi-disciplinary environments.
12. Lifelong learning: Recognise the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change.
About the Course
The world has seen a very rapid growth in the field of Electronics and Communication Engineering since the days of Telegraphs and Radios. The real advancement came with the advent of Integrated Circuit(IC) Technology after World War II and since then, has never stopped. This advancement heralded the new era of Information Technology in which we live. This discipline has given plethora of versatile gadgets and reliable systems that has made the lives of this generation easy. Electronics and Communication Engineering has given us cell phones with which we can always be connected.
The department has ten individual laboratories and each lab is equipped with latest technology computers, software’s, devices, instruments and furniture. Laboratories are provided with modern and latest equipment’s to provide rich hands on experience to students in all areas of their curriculum, such as VLSI, DSP, Logic Design, Microprocessor, Analog Electronics, Communication etc. Software’s available in our laboratories include, industrial version of Cadence, MATLAB, Xilinx ISE and Code Composer Studio. The department has following number of desktop computers in its possession:
|Dell Vostro N Series Desktop PC’s||150 Nos|
|HP workstations X4300||06 Nos|
|IBMX3500 Server||01 Nos|
|Hp Proliant ML150 server||01 Nos|
Newly setup state-of-art laboratories like
- Analog Electronic Circuits lab
- Digital Electronics lab
- Microcontroller lab
- Microprocessor lab
- Analog Communication & LIC lab
- Advanced Communication lab
- Power Electronics lab
- HDL lab
- VLSI lab
- DSP lab
- Embedded Controller lab
- Computer Networks lab
- – Seminar Hall fitted with AC and audio visual equipment
- – CCTV surveillance in entire Computer Science block
- – Department has a recognized VTU Research Center
- – Lecture halls equipped with multimedia Projectors , CCTV& impartus Video Lecture recording
- – Tutorial Rooms equipped with multimedia Projectors , CCTV& impartus Video Lecture recording
HOD’s Room, Faculty Rooms & Department Office
The departmental library has an extensive and an exhaustive collection of technical books and journals. Digital Library facility is provided to students at the main library to facilitate information access from internet and intranet, along with access to various online technical journals.
Technical and Non-Teaching Staff
- Department of ECE has signed a MoU with Texas instruments to establish Texas instrument laboratory for conducting projects on signal processing.
- Department of ECE has signed a MoU with “Mission 10X Technology Learning Center (MTLC)” to establish MTLC lab.
Technical Talks organized by Department
- Distinguished lecture on “Augmented Reality” was held on 23-Aug-2017 for 5th semester students in the Department of E&CE. Mr. Sharath Chandra, L&T Technology Services, Mysuru was the resource person.
- Distinguished lecture on “Career Opportunities for Engineers at Defence Forces” was held on 23-Aug-2017 for 7th semester students in the Department of E & CE. Mr. Chinmay Shekar, Asst. Commandant, CRPF was the resource person.
- Distinguished Lecture on “Field Theory for Engineers” was held on 22nd August, 2017 for 3rd semester students in the department of ECE. Prof. Sampath Kumar, Dept. of ECE, NIE, Mysuru was the resource person.
- Distinguished Lecture on “Engineers as IT Solution Providers” was held on 16th August, 2017 for 7th semester students of ECE department. Mr. Manuel, L&T Technology Services, Mysuru, was the resource person.
- Distinguished Lecture on “IOT and Software defined networks” was held on 5th May, 2017 for 6th semester students in the department of ECE. Mr. Shivashree Nagendra, Team Lead, Infosys Limited was the resource person.
- Distinguished Lecture on “Artificial Intelligence and Machine” was held on 8th March,2017 for 8th semester students in the department of ECE. Dr. Prasad Sudhakar, Research Scientist in the Medical Image Analysis Lab at GE Global Research, Bangalore, India was the resource person.
- Distinguished Lecture on”HAM Radios” was held on 28th Feb, 2017 for 4th semester students in the department of ECE. Mr. S Sathyapal is currently the Director of Indian Institute of Hams, Karnataka, India was the resource person.
- Distinguished Lecture on “Overview of Electromagnetic Fields” was held on 30th Aug, 2016 for 3rd semester students of department of ECE in IS seminar Hall. Mr. Sampath Kumar M.J, visiting faculty at SJCE, Mysuru and NIE, Mysuru.
- Distinguished Lecture on “Mobile Application Development” was held on 29th Aug, 2016 for 7th semester students in the department of ECE. Mr. Sharath Chandra from L&T Tech Services, Mysuru was the resource person.
- Distinguished Lecture on Introduction to VLSI Test and Testability” was held on 27th August 2016 for 5th semester students in the department of ECE. Mr. Prashanth N from Broadcomm, Bengaluru was the resource person.
- Distinguished lecture on “Hardware Description Language & its applications” was held on 06-03- 2018 for 6 th semester ECE students in the department of ECE. Dr. Rudraswamy S B was the resource person.
- Distinguished lecture on “Career Guidance for ECE students” was held on 12-03- 2018 for 8 th semester ECE students in the department of ECE. Dr. Ashok Rao was the resource person.
- Distinguished lecture on “Evolution on Microprocessor” was held on 14-03- 2018 for 8 th semester ECE students in the department of ECE. Dr. Narasimha Kaulgud was the resource person.
Workshops organized by Department
- A one day workshop on Praat tool for speech signal processing was organized by the department of electronics and communication engineering for the 7th semester students of electronics and communication engineering department on 14th October 2017.
- A workshop on introduction to Robotics through e-yantra Robotics lab for V semester students of E&C branch was organized in the department on 16th September 2017 to 18th September 2017.
- The lead trainer for the workshop”latex” was Mr. Sandeep R ,Associate Professor, Department of ECE, VVCE, Mysuru. The Tutors of the workshop were Mr. Navaneeth S Rao and Ms. Shruthi S H from Department of ECE (8th sem), VVCE, Mysuru. The workshop was attended by more than 125 students, from final year UG, first and second year PG students. it was held on April 12th, 2017
- A one day workshop on Printed Circuit Board (PCB) design was organized on 4th March 2017 in the department of Electronics and Communication under IEEE. The target audience were 144 students of fourth semester. The goal of this workshop was to enable the students to design their own PCBs and put into practice, the soldering and etching techniques.
- A workshop on introduction to Robotics through e-yantra Robotics lab for V semester students of E&C branch was organized in the department on 08th October 2016, from 8am to 8pm.
- A workshop on introduction to Robotics through e-yantra Robotics lab for V semester students of E&C branch was organized in the department on 28th August 2016, from 8am to 8pm.
- A one day workshop on Linux essentials was organized by the department of electronics and communication engineering for the students of electronics and communication engineering department on August 27th 2016.
- A workshop to develop Soldering Skills in III semester students of E&C branch was organized in the department from 8 August to 13 August 2016. Soldering skill is very important for an Electronics Engineer. A theory on basics of soldering was provided for all the students before hands on training by Prof. Rohith K.
- 1. One day workshop on “LATEX” for 8th semester students was organized by the department of ECE on 9th March, 2018.
- 2. “3 – days workshop on Signal Processing and Communication using Matlab and Simulink” for 4th semester students was organized by ECE department from 22nd to 24th March, 2018.
- 3. “3 – days workshop on Internet of Things” for 6th semester students was organized by the department from 22nd to 24th March, 2018.
FDP organized by Department
- The faculty development program (FDP) was organized by the department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Vidyavardhaka College of Engineering, Mysuru in association with Texas Instruments (TI) India University Program and Digital Shark Technology, Bengaluru. The FDP was conducted for two days from 13th to 14th October 2017.
- A three day Faculty development program was organized on 29th August 2017 to 31st August 2017 in the department of Electronics and Communication Engineering. The main objective of this faculty development program was to provide a basic idea on how to use the LATEX, a scripting language.
Industrial Visits from the ECE department
- A Batch of third semester Electronics and Communication department students and three staff coordinators Prof.Arjun K R, Prof. Audre Arlene A and Prof. Shyma Zaidi visited the Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML) at Belavadi, Mysore on 11th November 2017(Saturday). This unit is mainly focused on aerospace manufacturing business.
- A Batch of third semester Electronics and Communication department students and three staff coordinators Prof. Praveena K S, Prof. Sahana M.S and Prof. A.P.Kavya visited the Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML) at Belavadi, Mysore on 28thOctober2017(Saturday). This unit is mainly focused on aerospace manufacturing business.
- An industrial visit to Kaynes Technology India Private Ltd, Mysore, a leading industry in the Electronics System & Design Manufacturing Services Space with Global foot print was organized for 4th semester students on 11-March-2017. Students of 4th semester and four faculties visited the industry on the day.
- An industrial visit to Advance Capacitors Pvt. Ltd, Mysore, a leading passive component industry for over 30 years, with a focus on designing and production of metallized film capacitors was organized for 4th semester students on 08-march-2017.
- Students of III semester E&C visited Advance Components Pvt. Ltd, Mysuru on 14-September-2016. Advance components Pvt Ltd is one of the leading manufacturers of discrete electronic components and are known for manufacturing capacitors.
- A batch of 6th semester ECE students and five staff coordinators Mr. Arjun K R, Mr. Mahadevaswamy, Mr. Alfred D’souza, Ms. Girijamba D L, Ms. Audre Arlene A visited MCF, Hassan on 6th Feb, 2018.
- A batch of 6th semester ECE students and four staff coordinators Mrs. T P Surekha, Mr.Rohith K, Mr.Sharath Kumar A J, Ms. Bhargavi K visited ISRO, Bengaluru on 6th Feb, 2018.
- Pooja D won award in Inter Collegiate Zonal Tournament in Yoga held from 16-Oct-2017 to 17-Oct-2017
- Pooja. D of sixth semester was part of the team representing VTU, Belgaum at All India Inter University Yoga (M&W) Championships which was held from 16.03.2017 to 19.03.2017 at Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, Haryana.
- Spoorthi K S won award in Mysore Zone Badminton held on 21-Sep-2016
- Moulya K. B of 4th semester participated in State level VTU Annual Athletic Meet – 2016 held at Sir. MVIT, Bengaluru.
- Shyma Zaidi has secured VTU 3rd rank in M.Tech – Signal Processing in the year 2015 – 2016.
- Alfred Vivek D’Souza secured 2nd rank in M.Tech – Signal Processing in the year 2014 – 15
- Pallavi J secured 3rd rank in M.Tech – Signal Processing in the year 2014 – 15
- Wasim Ahmed Ahenger secured 1st rank in BE examinations in the year 2012-13.
|Sl. No||Company Name|
|5||L & T INFOTECH|
|25||L & T TECH SERVICES|
|28||E TESTERS ELECTRICAL SOLUTIONS|
|39||THASMAI AUTOMATION (P) LTD|
|41||COMPASSITE SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS|
Last Four year placed students
Research & Development:
The department has sought permission to establish R & D centre in the academic year 2012-13.
Mission10x Technology Learning Center (MTLC):
MTLC is a collaborative effort between Mission10X and partner institution to enhance the Engineering attributes of the Engineering graduates through Project Based Learning (PBL). MTLC contextualizes the Mission10X approach in the Engineering context. MTLCs use Unified Technology Learning Platform (UTLP), an innovative embedded systems platform developed by Mission10X for PBL.
e-Yantra Embedded Systems & Robotics Laboratory:
e-Yantra is an initiative of IIT-Bombay under MHRD to setup robotics laboratories across the country to promote deeper understanding of embedded systems in students. VVCE, Mysuru is a Mysore Region Zonal center for e-Yantra Robotics activities.
INDUSTRY ACADEMIA BOARD (IAB)
Members from Industry
Members from Academia
|1||Mr. Hemachandra Bhat
Senior Delivery Manager,
Wipro Technologies, Bengaluru
|1||Dr. Sudarshan Patil Kulkarni
Dept. of ECE, SJCE, Mysuru
|2||Mr. Rabi N Rout
Asst. Vice President
Head – Danaher, UTC and Medical
M/S LnT Technology Services
Dayanand Sagar University, Bengaluru
|3||Mr. Karthigeyan S
Sr. Project Manager
M/S LnT Technology Services
|3||Dr. Priyatam Kumar
Dept. of ECE, KLE Technological University, Hubli
|Sl.No||Members from Dept. of ECE, VVCE|
|1||Dr. D.J Ravi, Professor and Head|
|2||Dr. T.P Surekha, Professor|
|3||Dr. C.M Patil, Professor|
Industry Academia Board Meeting Held at the Department
1st IA Board Meeting – 24-Oct-2016:
- Industry Academia Board Meeting was held on 22-Oct-2016 at R&D centre. The board members discussed on various issues related to academics and placements. The board members appreciated the involvement of students in various activities. Dr. D.J Ravi, Professor and HOD accepted their suggestions and promised to implement at the earliest.
- VVCE constituted Industry Academia Board in each department to engage with leading industries and educational institutions. The board members are Mr.Hemachandra Bhat (Wipro), Mr. Rabi N Rout (L&T), Mr. Kaarthigeyan(L&T), Dr. Sudarshan Patil Kulkarni(SJCE), Dr. Puttamaadhappa (Registrar, Dayanada Sagar Unversity) and Dr. Priyatham Kumar (KLE University), The members representing the department in the board are Dr.D.J Ravi, Dr. T.P Surekha and Dr. C.M Patil.
2nd IA Board Meeting – 14-Oct-2017:
Dr. D.J Ravi, Professor and Head, Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering welcomed all the board members. The meeting started at 10:30 AM. Following are the minutes of the meeting.
- The members of the board confirmed the minutes of the previous meeting which was held on 22-Oct-2016.
- D.J Ravi brought the actions taken on various resolutions of previous meeting to the notice of board members.
- Board members appreciated the following activities with some suggestions
- Learning Factory – Suggested targeting towards second year students rather than first year students.
- Mini projects – Suggested that first year mini projects should concentrate towards problem identification rather than technical implementation of the solution
- Early feedback and feedback collection mechanism: Suggested to set conditions for a student to give feedback. No student having less than 75% of attendance shall give feedback on a course. Also suggested that feedback be weighted average giving more weightage to questions that have objective answers.
- Board members discussed on the agenda and following are the suggestions / opinions of the board members
- About Vision, Mission and ways to achieve them
- Department to identify focus area such as Signal Processing, Control Systems and Robotics etc and have technically strong team of faculty members.
- Conduct conferences only for students
- Academic challenges
- Students being important stakeholder must be present in the meetings in which discussion on change or implementation of new policy affecting students are made
- Bring resource persons from local industries to deliver distinguished lectures
- Board members discussed on PSOs and suggested to include “Embedded Systems Development” as prime objective and should strongly correlate to courses from 5th semester onwards.
- Discussed on Pedagogy and Teaching Learning Process and following are opinions of the board
- Set up a library at department from which students can borrow electronic components, kits etc for projects like books and return them after use
- Teachers to give mini projects that integrate concepts from multiple subjects
- Knowledge of simulation tools is a must for students
- Focus area for second year students must be the basics of Electronics and for third year is Embedded systems and Programming and Communication for final year students.
- Mini projects need not be innovative always. It should give learning experience for students.
- Regarding Internship opportunities and availability of industry problems, Dr. D.J Ravi sought the help of board members from industry and was responded positively.
- Suggested to conduct Theme based mini projects and threaded projects to encourage bright students.
- Deskilled device development and problems from University of Agriculture, Mandya, KSRTC, Pollution Board can be solved to improve R&D activities.
- Suggested to advertise Specialization of Faculty on Google to attract consultancy projects.
- The meeting concluded at 1:30 PM as there were no other issues to be discussed.
- About Vision, Mission and ways to achieve them