About The Department
The Department of Electrical & Electronics Engineering was started in 2004. The department caters the need of the students by providing quality education. Highly qualified experienced and dedicated staff members are the backbone of the department.
The department is accredited by National Board of Accreditation (NBA) for a period of 3 years - academic year 2017-2018 to 2019-2020 (up to 30.06.2020).
The department has faculty members from various specializations namely, Power Systems, Power Electronics, VLSI Design and Embedded Systems, Industrial Electronics, Micro Electronics and Control Systems and Computer Applications to Industrial Drives. The Department deputes faculty members to attend seminars, workshop and conferences to gain exposure to current trends and research activities being carried out in the field of Electrical & Electronics Engineering. Faculty members publish research papers in National & International conferences and journals.
The department is well equipped with state of the art laboratories with excellent computational facilities. Some of the special equipment includes: Synchronous Machine, D.C Machine, Transformers, Relays, High Voltage Generators, Modules of Controls, Modules of Power Electronics, and Digital Storage Oscilloscopes etc.
This program is designed to meet the needs of Electrical Power Generation, Power Transmission and Distribution, Electrical Power Utilization, Modern Control Theory, Electrical CAD, High Voltage Engineering, Circuits, Machines, Drives etc.
Graduate in Electrical and Electronics Engineering get an opportunity to work in core electrical companies in the field of design, manufacturing, maintenance, electronics industries or allied fields and software industries. Graduates can pursue higher education in the field of electrical, electronics, computers and management.
Dr. SHOBHA SHANKAR
B.E., M.Tech., Ph.D.
Professor and Head
Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
The Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering shall create competent professionals through quality education and research for benefit of the society.
- Impart technical competency in Electrical and Electronics Engineering through competent staff, effective teaching learning process and good infrastructure.
- Strengthen industry institute interaction for knowledge sharing and innovative projects.
- Inculcate professional ethics, self-learning capability, entrepreneurial skills and leadership qualities for overall professional success.
- Foster research and development activities for academic excellence.
Program Educational Objectives (PEO's)
PEO1. Have a successful career contributing to academia, industry and research.
PEO2. Provide lucid solutions to complex engineering problems in the chosen field of interest.
PEO3. Exhibit leadership qualities, engage in lifelong learning with effective communication skills and ethical behavior.
Program specific outcomes (PSO)
Students graduating from the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering will
PSO1.Use appropriate methods in operation, maintenance and control of systems related to power and energy.
PSO2. Design and analyze electronic systems for its effective performance.
PSO3. Apply modern engineering hardware and software tools to provide solutions in electrical and electronics engineering.
Program Outcomes (PO’s) based on NBA graduate attributes
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
1. Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering, fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional Engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in Multi-disciplinary environments.
12. Lifelong learning: Recognise the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change.
About the Course
“Electrical Engineering” is the field where we deal with the energy that runs our world. Electrical Engineering is one of the fastest growing fields that involves study and application of electricity and electronics. It is the most interesting branch of engineering because it involves study of computer, electrical and electronics.
Electrical engineering is one of the largest and most diverse technological and engineering disciplines in today’s world. Electrical engineering is the study and application of electricity, electronics and electromagnetism for the development and maintenance of electrical and electronics equipments such as electric motors, navigation systems, medical devices, broadcast and communication systems, power generation systems, electrical distribution systems, electric grids etc., while keeping in mind the safety, quality, economic feasibility and sustainability of these products and systems.
The department has adequate and spacious classrooms, each equipped with LCD projectors and Impartus Lecture Capture solution. In addition to 4 classrooms the department also has 1 tutorial room, a seminar hall and departmental library along with HOD chamber and 8 faculty cabins. Internet facility through WiFi is also provided for the benefit of students & staff.
The department has well equipped laboratories with state of art infrastructure which caters the need of VTU syllabus.
1. Electrical Machines Laboratory -1 (Transformers and Generators)
2. Electronics Laboratory
3. Electrical Machines Laboratory -2 (Motors)
4. Op- amp and Linear ICs Laboratory
5. Microcontroller Laboratory
6. Power Electronics Laboratory
7. Control System Laboratory
8. Digital Signal Processing Laboratory
9. Power system Simulation Laboratory
10. Rely and High Voltage Laboratory
Department has 115 Pentium -IV computers with a licensed version of software packages which is useful for laboratory, project work and research activity.
- MATLAB R2017b
- MIPOWER 9.0
- – Seminar Hall fitted with AC and audio visual equipment
- – CCTV surveillance in entire Electrical block
- – Department has a recognized VTU Research Center
- – Lecture halls equipped with multimedia Projectors , CCTV& impartus Video Lecture recording
- – Tutorial Rooms equipped with multimedia Projectors , CCTV& impartus Video Lecture recording
HOD’s Room, Faculty Rooms & Department Office
- – Department has its own library with a wide collection of books relevant to the discipline.
Technical Talks organized by Department
|Sl. No.||Topic||Date||Resource Person||Semester|
|1||Technical talk on “Transformer Testing”||11th Oct 2017||S RangaRaju, Executive Engineer , KPTCL, Mysuru||VII|
|2||Technical talk on “Opportunities for Higher Education ”||08th Sep 2017||Mrs. Muktha from “The Princeton Review”||V|
|3||Technical talk on “Integration of Large Scale Wind Energy to the Grid-technical Challenges and Mitigation Techniques”||09th Sep 2017||Dr. Chandrashekar Narayan Bhende, IIT Bhubaneshwar.||VII & V|
|4||Technical talk on “Recent Advances in Electronics and Communication Engineering “||08th Sep 2017||Dr. Ganapathi Panda, IIT Bhuvaneshwar.||VII & V|
|5||Technical talk on “The Characteristics of Signals in Electrical Systems”||16th Oct 2017||Dr. Subramanya M B, Assistant Professor, Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, VVIET, Mysuru.||V|
|6||Technical talk on “INTRODUCTION TO BIG DATA & HANDLOOP TECHNOLOGY”||28th Oct 2017||Mr. Sundar K S, Associate Vice President, Education Training and Assessment, Global Education Centre, Infosys, Mysuru.||III|
|7||Technical talk on “Paper Writing Skills”||28th Oct 2017||Prof. Gururaj H L Assistant Professor, Dept. of CSE, VVCE, Mysuru.||VII|
|8||Seminar on “PRODUCT ENGINEERING INDUSTRY AND ITS NEED FOR PROFESSIONALISM”||09th Nov 2017||Rakesh S Nandakumar, Program Manager, Nano Source Technology.||III|
|9||Technical talk on “Role of Advanced Reasearch & Hands on Approach in Engineering Product Development ”||05th March 2018||Dr. Ravichandra Kulkarni, Research & Development Engineer, Electronic Partners Ltd, Auckland, New Zeland||IV,VIII|
|10||Technical talk on “Renewable Energy:Challenges, Tools and Solution’s””||10th March 2018||Mr. Sufiyan Khan, Business Analyst, REConnect Energy Solutions Pvt. Ltd Bengaluru||VI,VIII|
|11||Technical talk on “Reliability and Power quality”||15th March 2018||Dr. Uma Rao, Professor, RVCE, Bengaluru||IV,VI,VIII|
|12||Technical talk on “Introduction to Bigdata, Grid Computing, Cloud Computing Techniques “IMS Academy, Infosys Limited, Mysuru.||17th March 2018||Mr. Sundar K S, Associate Vice President and Head, IMS Academy, Infosys Limited, Mysuru.||IV|
Workshops organized by Department
|SL No||Resource Person||Title||Participants (Semester)||No. of students||Date||No. of Days|
|1||Mr. D V SHIVANAND, Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Universal Power Controls, Tumkur.||“Electrical Switchgear & its Application”||III||54||16-19th Aug 2017||4|
|2||Mr. SUNIL KUMAR V Managing Director, VI Solutions, Bengaluru||3-Day Workshop on “Graphical Programming using LabVIEW”||V||67||17-19th Aug 2017||3|
|3||Prof. Mohd Jalaluddin,Assoc Prof. Dept. of E&EE Prof. Lokesh C,Prof. Archana k, Prof. Gowtham N, Assistant Professors E&EE||2-Day Workshop on “MATLAB/Simulink”||VII||59||21-22nd Aug 2017||2|
|4||Prof. Poornima B G, Assoc Prof. Dept. of CSE & Prof. Hamsaveni Assistant Professors, Dept. of CSE.||1-Day student workshop on “C-Programming”||V||70||27&29th Oct 2017||2|
|5||Prof. Hallesh M R, Assistant Professor, Department of E&C SJCE, Mysuru.||1-Day student workshop on “VLSI Design”||VII||19||27th Oct 2017||1|
|6||M Raghavendra Bhat,Manager by CloudE, Mysuru.||One-day training on “Industry Oriented Hardware Design”||V||63||8th Nov 2017||1|
|7||Prof. Mohd Jalaluddin ,Prof. Archana K, Prof. Gowtham N, Dept. of E&EE, VVCE, Mysuru.||1-Day student workshop on “MATLAB/Simulink”||VI||66||19th March 2018||1|
|8||Prof. Rakshith P and Student Coordinators||1-Week student workshop on “Development Boards”||IV||68||6th March to 25th April||2|
|9||Prof. Lokesh C and Prof. Savyasachi G K, Assistant Professors,EEE, VVCE, Mysuru||2-Day workshop on Embedded Systems||II,IV,VI||17||10th – 11th February 2018||2|
|10||Prof. Rakshith P and Prof. Savyasachi G K, Assistant Professors, EEE,VVCE, Mysuru||1-Day student workshop on “MATLAB/Simulink”||II||31||14th February 2018||1|
|11||Prof. Ravishankar M B, Prof. Babu Rajendra Prasad and Prof. Savyasachi G K, Assistant Professors, EEE, VVCE, Mysuru||2-Day student workshop onPCB Design||II,IV,VI||26||17th & 18 th February 2018||2|
|12||Prof. , EEE, VVCE, Mysuru||2-Day student workshop on PLC||II,IV,VI||10||24th & 25th March 2018||2|
|13||Prof. K Gopala Reddy, Prof. Avinash R, EEE, VVCE, Mysuru||1- Day workshop on “Electrical wiring”||II||41||8th May 2018||1|
FDP organized by Department
|Sl. No.||Event||Students Participated||Sponsers||Schedule & Venue|
|1||Faculty Development Program on“MATLAB R2017a”||Teaching Faculty||ISTE||28th to 30th July 2017, Dept. of E&EE, VVCE|
|2||One-week Short Term Training Programme on “Recent Trends in Industrial Automation”||Teaching Faculty||ISTE||1 – 5 August 2017|
|3||“Electrical Switchgear & its Application”||III semester||ISTE||16 th to 19 th Aug 2017|
|4||3-Day Workshop on “Graphical Programming using LabVIEW”||V semester||ISTE||17 th to 19 th Aug 2017|
|5||2-Day Workshop on “MATLAB/Simulink”||VII semester||ISTE||21 st to 22 nd Aug 2017|
|6||1-Day student workshop on “C-Programming”||V semester||ISTE||27&29th Oct 2017|
|7||1-Day student workshop on “VLSI Design”||VII semester||ISTE||27.10.2017|
|8||One-day training on “Industry Oriented Hardware Design”||V semester||ISTE||08.11.2017|
Industrial Visits from the EEE department
|Sl. No.||Date||Power Station Visited||Sem||Faculty Accompanying||No. Of Students|
|1||20th Oct 2017||1/Day industrial visit to Bhoruka Extrusions, Mysuru||III||Prof. K Gopala Reddy||38|
|2||12th Oct 2017||1/Day industrial visit to Heritage Center and Aerospace Museum”, HAL, Bengaluru||VII||Prof. Gowtham N,Prof. Avinash R||52|
|3||20th Oct 2017||3/Day industrial visit to” Varahi Power Plant” Udupi||V||Prof. Lokesh C,Prof. Reshma V P||50|
|4||24th Oct 2017||1/Day industrial visit to SRS Hootagalli Substation, Mysuru||III||Prof. Rakshith P,Prof. Avinash R,Prof. Reshma V P||43|
|5||27th Oct 2017||1/Day industrial visit to 66/11KV Vijaynagar Substation, Mysuru||I||Prof. Raghunath M J,Prof. Avinash R||53|
|6||18th Nov 2017||ABPL, Brindavana Power Generating Station||III||Prof. K Gopala Reddy, Prof. Rashmi S,Prof. Reshma V P||68|
|7||26th to 30th Jan 2018||4/Day industrial visit to “KAIGA Nuclear Power Plant and Sharavathi Power Plant”||VIII||Prof. Gowtham N,Prof. Avinash R||27|
|8||22nd March 2018||1/Day industrial visit to “Rajamane Soma Inductronics”, Mysuru on for for VI semester students||VI||Prof. Dr. Shobha Shankar, Prof. Archana K||66|
|9||24th March 2018||1/Day industrial visit to “South India Paper Mill Limited”, Thandavapura||VI||Prof. Mohd. Jalaluddin, Prof. Rakshith P||58|
|10||28th March 2018||1/Day industrial visit to “Cycle Pure Agarabathies Manufacturing Unit ”, near Mysuru Airport||IV||Prof. Raghunath M J,Prof. Avinash R||47|
|11||4th April 2018||1/Day industrial visit to “Infosys Limited”, Mysuru||IV||Prof. K Gopala Reddy, Prof. Lokesh C, Prof. M B Ravishankar,Prof. Reshma V P||68|
|12||5th May 2018||1/Day industrial visit to ““SUZLON, WIND ENERGY SITE”, Hassan||VI||Prof. Babu Rajendra Prasad, Prof. Raghunath M J||60|
- Vishwas H D of 4th sem was runner up in Handball inter collegiate zonal tournament competition held at GEC Ramanagara on 13.03.18
- Nischitha K N of 4th sem represented Karnataka state team in 13th south zone National Throwball Championship for women held at Mandya during 20-21 January 2018 and secured first position.
RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT
The department has sought permission to establish R & D centre in the academic year 2014-15.
Mission10x Technology Learning Center (MTLC)
MTLC is a collaborative effort between Mission10X and partner institution to enhance the Engineering attributes of the Engineering graduates through Project Based Learning (PBL). MTLC contextualizes the Mission10X approach in the Engineering context. MTLCs use Unified Technology Learning Platform (UTLP), an innovative embedded systems platform developed by Mission10X for PBL.
The Solar PV Training & Research System is a mini-Solar PV Plant Prototype
which enables students and faculty to understand in-depth concepts about stand-alone PV systems. The product also provides research orientation on several concepts such as MPPT, inverter control etc. The system consists of individual plug-in units each with components for different experimental arrangements. The conception of the system allows indoor and outdoor experiments. Additional options are the change of slope angle of the module to see the effect of tilt.
Industrial automation training facility (which includes Programmable Logic Controller, Variable Speed Drive, Motor, Sensors and Actuators) is setup in the project lab which enables students & faculty to undergo research and training.
|External members from Industry|
|Sl. No.||Name||Designation /Organization|
|1.||Dr. K BALARAMAN||Head – Power System Group, Power Research and Development Consultancy, Bengaluru|
|2.||Dr. NARENDRANATH UDUPA A||Director-Research Lighting, Philips India Ltd., Bengaluru.|
|3.||Mr. RAJASHEKAR S||Lead Technologist, Energy Management Division, General Electric, Bengaluru.|
|4.||Mr. SUNDAR K S||Associate Vice President, Education Training and Assessment, Global Education Centre, Infosys, Mysuru.|
|5.||Dr. M H KORI||Former Technical Director, Alcatel Lucent Technologies, Bengaluru.|
|6.||Mr. S RANGARAJU||Executive Engineer (Ele), RT Division, FTS Compound, KPTCL, N.R. Mohalla, Mysuru.|
|External members from Academia|
|Sl. No.||Name||Designation /Organization|
|1.||Dr. T ANANTHAPADMANABHA||Principal, NIE Institute of Technology, Mysuru|
|2.||Dr. B RAMACHANDRA||Professor, Dept. of E & EE, PES College of Engineering, Mandya.|
|3.||Dr. P MEENA||Associate Professor, Dept. of E & EE, BMS College of Engineering, Bengaluru|
|Sl. No.||Name||Designation /Organization|
|1.||Dr. SHOBHA SHANKAR||Professor and Head, Dept. of E & EE, VVCE, Mysuru.|
|2.||Prof. MOHAMED JALALUDDIN||Associate Professor, Dept. of E & EE, VVCE, Mysuru.|
|3.||Prof. K GOPALA REDDY||Associate Professor, Dept. of E & EE, VVCE, Mysuru.|