About The Department
The department of chemistry started in the year 1997 and engaged in teaching applied chemistry at the first year level of all branches of engineering courses. The department has highly qualified, dedicated and experienced faculty presently headed by Dr. Anitha Sudhir. The department aims to impart high quality education inspiring students to come out to compete globally and to develop scientific outlook with analytical mind. The faculty members are attending faculty development programmes, workshops and seminars to update their knowledge. Department has R&D center recognized by VTU, Belagavi. The faculty involved both in teaching as well as research and published research paper in various national and international journals. At present two faculties are guiding the students for Ph.D degree and have applied for the project.
DR. Anitha Sudhir
B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D.
Professor and Head
Department of Chemistry
To be a knowledge sharing center, enabling fresh minds to acquire fundamental insights into chemical science which contribute intellectually vibrant individuals for the welfare of the society.
- To provide strong fundamentals in chemistry to all the engineering programs.
- To support the developmental activities of the college and make the department vibrant through research activities.
The department has well equipped laboratory, HOD chamber, staff rooms, preparation room, instrumentation room and R&D center recognized by VTU, Belagavi.
Non - Teaching Staff
- Department of chemistry arranged industry visit to “Mysore Sandalwood Factory” on 08th November 2017 for ECE-A section students.
- Department of chemistry arranged industry visit to “Mysore Silk Factory” on 08th November 2017 for ECE-B section students.
- Seminar on “Chemistry of Nanomaterials” by Dr. Naveen S, Associate Professor, Jain Institute of Technology, Bengaluru was organized by department of chemistry for chemistry cycle students on 27th October 2017.
- Essay competition on “My vision – Corruption free India” during vigilance awareness week was organized by department of chemistry on 26th October 2017.
- Motivational talk by Shikhar Kashyap, a best outgoing student of Department of Mechanical Engineering on 28th September 2017 for all Chemistry cycle students.
- Department of Chemistry celebrated 124th birthday of Harold Urey in Association with ISTE Students Chapter on 29th April 2017.
- A seminar on “Nanotechnology” for chemistry cycle students was held at Department of chemistry, Vidyavardhaka College of Engineering, in association with “ISTE Student’s Chapter” on 27th April 2017. Dr. Naveen S, Scientist, Institute of Excellence, University of Mysore, Mysuru was the guest of honor.
- In view of Vigilance Awareness Week, conducted a seminar on “Fight against corruption” by Dr. Bhamy V. Shenoy, and an essay competition on “Public participation in promoting integrity and eradicating corruption” in collaboration with Canara bank, on 4th November 2016.
- A seminar on “Self-counseling system and its applications in higher education” for chemistry cycle students on 22nd October 2016, by Babu Rajendra Prasad, Professor, Department of EEE, VVCE, Mysuru.
- A seminar on “Nanotechnology” for chemistry cycle students by Dr. S. Naveen Kumar, Scientist, Institute of Excellence, University of Mysore, on 1st October 2016 for 1st year Chemistry cycle students.
- A “Brain storming competition” was conducted by the Department of chemistry, Vidyavardhaka College of Engineering, in association with “ISTE STUDENT’S CHAPTER” on Wednesday, 28th September 2016 for ECE students.
- A technical talk on “Safety & Health in Chemistry Lab” by Prof. K. N. Krishna Prasad, on 5th August 2016 for first year Civil Engineering and EEE students.