- Civil-Engineering Dept
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Amongst all branches of Engineering, the range and application of Civil Engineering is the broadest and the most visible. The nature of this profile makes it an evergreen prospect for career minded youngsters.
The Department of Civil Engineering was started in the year 2013 with an intake of 60 students. The State-of-art Laboratories are set up to cater the needs of students. The course is aimed at training students for suitable skilled engineering personnel required for industries and governmental organizations. To gain valuable contact with industry and to have practical exposure, routine lectures are supplemented with distinguished lectures, field trips offering valuable networking opportunities with future employers.
The full-fledged department is headed by Dr. H.S. Dayananda. He has a credential of 28 years in teaching and supported with qualified, experienced, and dedicated colleagues with different specializations of Civil Engineering.
The Department of Civil Engineering shall develop socially responsible civil engineers through quality education keeping pace with emerging technologies.
MISSION:The Department of Civil Engineering will,
DM1: Provide quality education emphasizing on emerging technologies through competent staff and modern facilities
DM2: Imbibe logical thinking ability, communication skills, professional ethics, leadership and entrepreneurial qualities
DM3: Promote research for developing sustainable infrastructure
DM4: Take up collaborative projects for long term association with industry and academic experts
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVE
Graduates of the program will,
PEO1. Continue to keep abreast with constantly evolving technology in Civil Engineering
PEO2. Inculcate technical, managerial and soft skills to handle the complex situation in executing the projects and pursue higher education to excel in the field of interest
PEO3. Develop sustainable Civil Engineering projects adopting professional ethics.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES
Students graduating from the Department of Civil Engineering will,
PSO 1: Apply the acquired engineering knowledge to provide basic facilities with optimal utilization of natural resources to meet the societal needs
PSO 2: Plan, analyze, design, estimate, execute and maintain civil engineering amenities keeping in view, the safety and stability.
PROGRAM OUTCOMES (POs)
Engineering Graduates will be able to,
1. Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
12. Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
AMENITIES AVAILABLE IN THE DEPARTMENT
Newly setup state-of-art laboratories like:
Basic Materials Testing Lab with National Accreditation Board for testing and calibration Laboratory (NABL) certification Instruments/Equipment like Analog Universal Testing Machine (100Ton), Vickers Hardness Testing machine, Digital Impact Testing Machine for Izod, Charpy Test and Brinell Cum Rockwell Hardness Testing machine, etc.,
Surveying Lab -equipped with sophisticated Theodolite and Total station (Sokkia)
Geology Lab -equipped with mineral samples including rock and ore forming, Structural Models and Geological Maps.
CAD Lab -equipped with new higher version computer systems (76Nos), Autodesk Autocad 2015 and STAAD Pro V8i Softwares with 25 KVA online UPS.
Hydraulics and Hydraulics Machinery Lab - close circuit lab equipped with Centrifugal Pump, Pelton Wheel, Kaplan Turbine, Venturimeter, Hydraulic Flume and Bernoulli’s Apparatus, etc.,
Geotechnical Engineering Lab - equipped with Direct Shear Test Apparatus, Tri-axial Test Apparatus, CBR Test Apparatus, Unconfined Compression Tester, Permeability Test Apparatus, Vibratory Sieve Shaker, etc., to meet both academic as well as consultancy works.
Concrete and High Lab – Equipped with Compression Testing Machine(CTM), Impact Testing Machine(ITM), Flexure Testing Machine (FTM), Los Angeles Abrasion Testing Machine etc.,
Environmental Engineering Lab- equipped with UV-VIS Spectrophotometer, Turbidity meter, TDS-Conductivity meter, COD Digester etc.
Consultancy works are taken up for construction material testing, soil testing and water and wastewater analysis.
Software to meet both academic as well as consultancy works.
Lecture halls equipped with multimedia Projectors & CCTV.
Dept. Seminar Hall fitted with AC and audio visual equipment.
Established Dept. Library to cater the needs of students with more than 1000 volumes.
CCTV surveillance in entire Civil Engineering block
Department is a recognized VTU research centre with 2 Research scholars pursuing Ph. D. and M.Sc.(Engg.) by research.
Dept. regularly organizes Workshops, Technical talks and field visits frequently for the benefit of students giving exposure of the recent trends in civil engineering.
For furthur details contact: Dr. H. S. Dayananda, HOD, Civil Engineering